So today our sweet little Grant had surgery to put tubes in his ears. For the last few months, all winter it seems Grant was constantly at the pediatrician's office getting put on yet another antibiotic. Every time we'd go in, our doctor would ask what we were there for, suspected ear infection I'd say, then he'd look in his ears and tell me that some moms just know what's wrong. It was always fluid in the ears and ear infection to go along with it. Then we'd spend 10 more days on a different antibiotic and then go back to the doctor, just to be told the same thing. Our poor Grant just couldn't get better. He is just an amazing little guy and really just took it all in stride, but he just wasn't himself. I felt so bad for him. So after so many visits to the pediatrician that we lost track, he suggested we visit the ENT. When we got there, he took our history, looked in his ears and said he was the classic case for ear tubes. He told me that even if he didn't know Grant's history, one look in his ears would confirm that he had chronic ear infections. Apparently, after chronic infections the ear looks different....who knew? Fast forward to today. We went into the hospital about 11:30, they put the baby in a cute little gown and gave him little footie slippers (Chad commented that we better put the slippers on him because they'll probably cost us at least $50), which I don't doubt knowing how much things cost in the hospital. After that we saw a couple of nurses, then the anesthesiologist and the ENT came in then they gave him something to calm him down and told us the surgery would take about 10 minutes. Amazingly, I was really calm when they took him back and knew everything would be okay. I know the blessing that Daddy and Papa gave him before we got to the hospital was the reason. It's so wonderful the reassurance we can receive through the worthy use of the priesthood. I'm incredibly grateful for the choice I made to marry such a wonderful man who can bless his children. When they brought Grant back in to us, he was a little grumpy from the meds, but oh so happy to see Mama and Daddy and FINALLY eat, since he hadn't had any solid foods since 8:30 the night before and it was 1:30 by this point. Once he ate he was pretty content. He fell asleep in the car on the way home and after he woke up he seemed like a different boy, he seems to hear much better for which I'm so glad. Also, for the last little while I've been thinking that Grant is still not walking because his equilibrium has been off, I know sometimes that happens when adults get ear infections. So we got his ears fixed and to prove my theory right he took HIS FIRST STEPS, that's right, and not just once, a few times tonight. I'm so very proud of my sweet boy. He is amazing!!!
4 comments:
That's awesome Julie ... he took his first teps the DAY he had surgery! Amazing! Glad he finally got those tubes in. Hopefully things will be SO much better now.
Oh wow! That's amazing! I'm SO glad to hear everything went so well! We're hoping we don't have to do the same thing, but if he's so much better, then it might be worth it.
Tubes were the best invention! Kergs is now talking up a storm. She is a totally different child, happy! Things will be so much better for him now!
I'm so glad that little Grant is doing well now. You are a genious! You knew why your baby wasn't walking. I'm so glad you guys are all well! Also thanks for those cookies, I guess I won't be bitter about losing mine now. :)
Post a Comment