If you've talked to me lately, you know how frustrated and fed up I've been with the fact that a certain 3 1/2 year old still was not potty trained.
He mentioned we didn't have any pets and I told him I'd buy him a fish or little frogs (the only pets I'd allow in my chaotic household.) I tried bribing him with candy, new toys, a new costume, anything I could think of.
Now, peeing in the potty came easily when he wanted to do it, which was sporatic but for some reason, he absolutely would not, and you could not make him poop. He didn't want to sit on the toilet...the seat hurt his bum or so he said.
Anyway, last week he came in my room and announced he "pooped in the potty", to which I unbelievingly responded, show me. He marched me into the bathroom and proudly with the flourish of his hand showed me the potty that did indeed have some in it. We cheered and did the "high 5" and the yay for Tanner dance, but having not actually seen him doing it, I wasn't 100% sure it was his...I thought it could be McKay's. So he wore big boy undies for a couple days and pooped in them 4 different times, I wanted to scream and can tell you that I didn't feel bad one bit throwing the grody underwear away, I mean, come on, YUCK!! Well, we kept him in his big boy underwear anyway and finally it seems to have clicked, and we haven't had any accidents in about a week, so I'm officially calling him POTTY TRAINED!!! YAY!!! Every time he goes, he comes in and demands I come see it. He still won't sit on the seat, but sits on the rim because he says it doesn't hurt his bum...I say whatever he wants since I don't have to change any more poopy diapers.
I did learn a huge lesson about Tanner. HE ABSOLUTELY LOVES PRAISE! Now, I knew this about him, but didn't really think about it in terms of potty training. He didn't care about any of the things I tried to bribe him with, he responded best when he got genuine one on one attention and recognition for a job well done. It is so true that what works for one child doesn't necessarily work for another. Potty training clicked for McKay when I threatened that he'd have to wear Pink Princess Pull-ups if he peed in his underwear and that's all it took. Hopefully Grant will be much easier to train than the other 2 but I seriously doubt it. Oh, Potty-training, one of the absolute worst jobs of parenthood, I'm glad you've come and gone again.
Friends, promposal and practices.
4 months ago







No comments:
Post a Comment