Today we decided to try out the new Target somewhat near downtown Salt Lake City. The boys were their normal crazy selves in the cart that holds 3 kids and still has a basket to put groceries in, which I just love...and I had to continuously tell Tanner to stop hitting McKay, seriously it must have been 20 different times I had to remind him to keep his hands to himself. McKay started a stirring rendition of Reverently Quietly as loud as he could sing, LOVELY...Tanner and Grant were quite loud as well and whenever people would see me I got the "your kids are cute but they sure are loud" look or the "I'm glad they're not mine" look, but overall, nothing different than how our shopping experience normally goes.
Anyway, walking down one of the middle aisles I looked over and who did I see?
Elder L. Tom Perry from the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
I instantly got goose bumps and that part of the store just felt different, I could just feel the spirit emanating from him. Who would have thought you could feel the spirit in Target of all places? What an awesome moment. It's so amazing to be able to live among the Lord's chosen disciples, and a special privilege to see them on occasion. I quietly explained to McKay who he was, that he was an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ and a friend of the Prophet Thomas S. Monson, which made him pretty excited, and then he asked, "Does the Prophet go shopping too?" I told him that the Prophet has gone shopping before. Upon thinking on it more I'm not sure if he still does, or at least not without a bodyguard or two. We let Elder Perry quietly pass and slowly walked away. It's interesting because the farther I got away from him the less I felt the spirit. I just wasn't ready to give up that feeling so I slowly and discreetly pushed the cart in the direction I'd seen him go. A few aisles down we found him again. He and his lovely wife were in the lighting aisle. I thought that it was interesting that we found a Personal Witness to the Light of the World was in the "Worldly Lighting" aisle. After one more look, we reluctantly went to the checkout and finished our shopping. What an exciting experience and one I won't soon forget. I'm so grateful for the gospel in my life and the peace and assurance it brings, and I'm grateful for this experience to be in the presence of one of the Lords chosen servants.







3 comments:
I love it! What an awesome experience for you and the boys. Experiences like that will stay with you forever. It is pretty funny you saw him in Target, of all places though :)
That's awesome Julie. I don't think I would have recognised him ... I know for certain that Jared would have though, I'm just not so good with faces!
That is so awesome. I laughed so hard at your description of McKay singing Reverently Quietly. We are one of those families that draws attention in any store!
How neat to be in Target with an apostle. SUPER AWESOME!
Post a Comment