**Disclaimer** This post is for me mostly, I just wanted to document it so I can look back and reflect on this little decision and the lesson I learned from it.
At church a few Sundays ago, one of the speakers pulled out the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet and talked about the Entertainment and Media Section. Here's an excerpt:
"Whatever you read, listen to, or look at has an effect on you. Therefore, choose only entertainment and media that uplift you. Good entertainment will help you to have good thoughts and make righteous choices. It will allow you to enjoy yourself without losing the Spirit of the Lord.
While much entertainment is good, some of it can lead you away from righteous living. Offensive material is often found in web sites, concerts, movies, music, videocassettes, DVDs, books, magazines, pictures, and other media. Satan uses such entertainment to deceive you by making what is wrong and evil look normal and exciting. It can mislead you into thinking that everyone is doing things that are wrong.
Have the courage to walk out of a movie or video party, turn off a computer or television, change a radio station, or put down a magazine if what is being presented does not meet Heavenly Father’s standards. Do these things even if others do not. Let your friends and family know that you are committed to keeping God’s standards. You have the gift of the Holy Ghost, which will give you strength and help you make good choices."
Now even though I'm not a youth anymore, in fact, I can't believe it's been 15 years since I graduated from High School( I know, it's shocking to think about) this talk truly touched my heart. You see, I have a little confession to make...There is a show on TV, on one of the regular non-cable channels (and NO I'm not going to tell you which one it is) that I faithfully watched all last season. Now, it was one of those shows that I had to wait until late at night to watch so the kids wouldn't see it, that had beautiful characters in it doing not so beautiful things. I rationalized that it wasn't a big deal if I watched it, that it wasn't that harmful, that I'm older and married so the situations it presented didn't tempt me into bad behavior.
Well, after the talk I started having little feelings that I should stop watching the show. I SO wanted to ignore them, after all, the season ended with a cliffhanger and I REALLY wanted to know how it ended. I even recorded the first couple of this season on my DVR, but didn't watch them right away, giving myself a little time to REALLY DECIDE if I was going to keep watching it. Well, the other day I did it, I DELETED THEM OFF THE DVR..just a couple buttons pushed and away it went. For the rest of that day, I couldn't believe I did it and admit I was a little sad about it. But now, looking back with a few days perspective I discovered something....I DON'T REALLY MISS IT...shocking I know...I wouldn't have believed it. The people that I spent so much time speculating about last season and couldn't wait to see rarely come to my mind anymore and that hour each week has just been freed up for other things, and honestly I FEEL GOOD ABOUT MY CHOICE...now in the whole scheme of things, this was a little thing I did, that some would say wouldn't have a whole lot of impact, but for me, it REAFFIRMED that I do have the AGENCY to CHOOSE for myself what I will and will not entertain myself with. That I am in control and if I don't want my children to see it maybe I shouldn't be watching it either.
So again, I just wanted to take a minute and document it so that some day, my family will know that I learned this lesson and that I know that they can have the COURAGE to choose good wholesome entertainment for themselves as well.
Friends, promposal and practices.
4 months ago







10 comments:
I am very very proud of you, friend :)
Your post reminded me of a recent Primary lesson I gave (I teach the 6 year olds) called "I Am Wise when I Choose the Right." It was hard for me to explain to my students that even though we don't always feel super happy, excited, or receive a prize when we make the right choice we will still receive blessings for choosing the right and adhering to Gospel standards. In years to come you will be able to use this personal story as an example to your children to teach them that even though it doesn't always feel great making those righteous decisions, we discover the peace and blessings it brings afterwards.
That is so great! Thanks for posting it, even if it was just for you, it's so nice to hear the courage of other people!
Good for you Julie! I have often thought the same things. I know that some of the shows I have watched and watch lead me to believe some things are "not so bad" You should be proud of yourself!!
That is awesome!!! Good job! :)
I used to faithfully watch a certain soap opera (don't even know why I got into it in the first place) but decided to stop watching it a couple years ago after a talk quite similar to the one you described. It does feel good to free up your time from the not-so-desirable entertainment!
Although I have to admit I could still purge another thing or two that I still watch....
Thanks for sharing. I often wonder why we work so hard to protect our children from evil and teach them right from wrong, and then invite that very evil into our homes on the TV. I have found myself, lately, evaluating the things that we watch, as well. Some are good, others need to not be invited in any more.
Thanks for your testimony!
Great job Julie! I like knowing I'm not the only one out there who struggles with watching things that aren't appropriate for me. Oh and I like your background (it's the same one I chose for my blog).
So awesome Julie!!! I wish everyone could do that! You are so strong. Hang in there and keep it up. One little step leads to bigger ones!! Thanks for sharing! What a great reminder and post!
First off I had no idea you had a blog until I found it on Heathers!1 Hooray now I can see your cute family. second I am way proud of you..I did the same thing just recently also except mine was with the radio, it AMAZING what little boys will repeat. And last you should check out my blog, send me an email at deannazobell@hotmail.com so I can add you to the list!!
WAY TO GO JULIE!!!
Hey, Julie! I loved this post! It reminded me of a similar decision I made just a few months ago-probably about the same show;) Anyway, thanks for sharing...good to "see" you!!
Post a Comment