So about 9:30 in the morning McKay was in the bathtub. I was getting ready while he was in there and he was happy and playing one minute, then I looked over and realized he wasn't playing any longer. His eyes dialated and rolled backward it was then I realized that he was having a seizure. I scooped him out of the tub and was screaming his name trying to get a response from him. He was still seizing and was non-responsive. I set him down on the living room floor to find the phone to call the paramedics and at that time his lips turned blue and he was really gray and wasn't breathing. The whole thing lasted about 30 seconds and then it was over. He then looked like he was sleeping, but I didn't know if he should go to sleep so I kept calling his name and trying to wake him up. I didn't know what to do so I called 911 and an ambulance and fire truck got to our house in about 3 minutes. They checked him out and recommended that he go to the hospital in the ambulance just in case he had another seizure. Luckily the neighbors saw what was going on and were really sweet to take Grant and Tanner so that I could ride in the ambulance with McKay. While we were on the way to the childrens hospital I called Chad and he met me at the hospital. Throughout this whole time I remained relatively calm but the minute Chad got there I fell apart and couldn't stop crying. The doctors checked him out and were a little worried that he might have aspirated some water since he was in the tub when the seizure happened. They recommended we stay at the hospital until about 1:30, 4 hours after the seizure so we could make sure he was okay. He was exhausted and slept most of that time. The doctor came in around 1:20 and was just giving us final instructions, telling us that about 5% of kids have a seizure before they are 5, and they really didn't know why he had one, as most kids in that category have one when their fever spikes, but McKay didn't have a fever and hadn't been sick. The doctor told us that very possibly that could be the last seizure he ever had, and it seemed like right after he said that McKay started having another seizure in my arms. If it had to happen again we were glad it happened when the Dr. was in the room. All the time between the first seizure and the second I kept having flashbacks of seeing him in the tub and it was really hard for me. When he had his second one I just couldn't believe it and just held onto Chad and cried. I'm so grateful that Chad was there to help me. He and my dad were able to give him a blessing right after and it made me feel better. I am so grateful that I have a worthy husband to give my children priesthood blessings when they need them. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful husband. After the second seizure they decided that we weren't going home and he needed to have some tests. They drew his blood and decided on an MRI and an EEG. He had the EEG first and he was really a trooper. He had electrodes all over his head and then had gauze wrapped around those. He was so exhausted he slept almost the whole time. Afterwards, they decided to give him his MRI. He had to be sedated for that one. It was so hard seeing my sweet little boy in that big machine all the while hoping they weren't going to find anything scary on the scan. They decided that we were going to be admitted for the night so after he recovered from the sedation they took him up to his room. Thankfully he didn't have any more seizures and the MRI was normal so they discharged us from the hospital around 10:30 on Friday. On Monday,
I checked with the neurologists office and confirmed that the EEG was normal as well. At this point the Dr.'s still don't what caused it or if he'll have any more, but for now he is back to his normal self and you wouldn't even know that anything ever happened. This was one of the most scary experiences of my life. I felt so helpless knowing I couldn't do anything for him. I'm so grateful to the paramedics for their quick response time, I'm also grateful that we have a children's hospital so close to us. I'm also so thankful to know that my other boys were so well taken care of while I was dealing with this crisis. It's wonderful to know that we have such great friends and neighbors. Overall, after having this experience I've come to realize that the Lord is in charge of our lives and we just have to trust in him. I'm so very grateful for my sweet son and for the joy he brings into my life.
1 comment:
Julie, I'm praying for McKay. We love you guys, Jen
Post a Comment