The Antics and Misadventures of McKay, Tanner and Grant



Sunday, March 1, 2009

Grant's Birth Story

Mommy, Daddy and Baby

Momma and Baby Grant

Look at that hair...it looks pretty red


I thought I'd take a minute to recount Grant's birth story while it was fresh in my mind so I'd not forget too many details. We got to St. Marks about 7:30am on the February 21st. The doctor checked me when I got there and I was already a 4, so I figured I'd have him by 1:00. (Wishful thinking) They started the Pitocin and the Dr. came back in around 10:30 and said she had to do a c-section at 11 so she suggested I get my epidural then since there was only 1 anesthesiologist on duty and if I didn't get it then I wouldn't get one until after. She also said she wasn't going to break my water until she was done with the other patient. I was a little disappointed because given my previous experience, once my water breaks, my labor kicks into high gear and I usually have the baby pretty quick after that. Given the circumstances, I didn't want to miss the chance and not get pain relief so I went ahead. After the epidural I got really giddy and I kept commenting on how wonderful I felt. We had great nurses that we were laughing and having fun with. Around noon, the nurse told me the Dr.'s c-section was delayed, and I was a little disappointed but at that point, I just looked at the contraction monitor as they kept getting stronger and stronger and being extremely grateful that I wasn't feeling any of them. Finally, the nurse checked me again around 1:30 and I was about a 6. When the doctor finally came in around 2:30, I was a 7 and she broke my water. Almost instantly, the contractions jumped into high gear and at that point my epidural was starting to wear off so the anesthesiologist came back in to top off my medicine, and boy that was great. At that point I predicted that he'd be born by 3:00 because things were moving quickly. When the doctor checked me about 2:50, I was fully dialated and they decided to break down the bed and get ready for me to push. I started feeling a lot of pressure so the nurse looked and the baby's head was really low. She said to stay still, not to push, breathe, sneeze or anything until the Dr. got her gear on because he was definitely ready to make his arrival. Finally she was ready so she told me to push and I didn't even have a full push, maybe half of one and he just slipped out. It was great. He was so amazing when he was born. He had a ton of hair and when it was wet it really looked red(we have since determined that it's pretty blonde when it's dry) He was pretty quiet and didn't cry very much at first, which made me a bit nervous but the nurse assured us he was just fine. It's so amazing to realize that the baby is in you one minute and out the next. I have no idea how they fit in such a small space. He is such a joy in our lives and I don't know what we'd do without him. His brothers took a few days to get used to him but now they can't wait to give him loves and shower him with kisses. He is such a good baby and still sleeps the majority of the time, though much of his awake time is in the middle of the night, go figure. I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father has blessed me with such a wonderful spirit. I'm so grateful to be a mother to my children, they are such a joy in my life. The love they show me is incredible and I'm so thankful for them everyday. I'm also thankful for my wonderful husband. Chad has been incredible through this whole thing. It was so special to have him by my side when we brought our precious son into the world. He has been so great with the other boys and has spent a lot of time with them, playing with them and assuring them of the love that we have for them. It is an honor to have him as my husband and I'm grateful everyday that the Lord saw fit to bring him into my life. I love you Chad!

2 comments:

Nyall and Jennifer said...

How great! It sounds like your labor and delivery went really smoothly. I'm so glad! Amazing he came in one push! He is such a beautiful baby. Congrats again, Julie and Chad!

Mindy said...

Oh Julie, sounds like you had a pleasant experience. I love your pictures. Little Grant is so cute. He looks like a cheerful little soul. Congratulations.