The Antics and Misadventures of McKay, Tanner and Grant



Monday, January 10, 2011

All these presents can't POSSIBLY be for you...

Yesterday we had a family birthday party to celebrate my sister Angela and niece Ashlynn's birthdays.  Tanner was having an especially rough day yesterday anyway and when the presents were being passed out to the girls he started crying uncontrollably.  I asked what was wrong and he told me with a sad little voice that he was looking for his present.  Being so close to Christmas I think he just assumed he'd get one too.  He was trying to open up their presents and we kept telling him that  it wasn't his birthday so he didn't get any and then he started crying harder...a wanna ppp-wesent too mama (I want a present too mama)...so quick thinking mama that I am, I excused myself to the basement toy room and found a Toy Story lunchbox that my dad had bought to keep at his house.  I found the Christmas wrapping paper stash and hurried and wrapped it up in tissue paper and ran back upstairs with a "PRESENT" for Tanner.  The tears stopped and he excitedly opened the present.  He was really excited until he looked inside and started sobbing again...apparently someone forgot to put something inside (at this point I was a little exasperated...after all, I went to the trouble to wrap a present up for him to open...how was I supposed to know he'd freak out cause something wasn't in it, seriously I GET NO LOVE)..anyway, my nephew Jay just happened to run in at that moment with a bunch of toys and told T they were the ones that were supposed to go in the box...BLESS HIM I thought.  So Tanner was happy and everything seemed okay until McKay asked me if he got a present too...so back downstairs I went to wrap the other Toy Story lunchbox my dad had, but this time I made sure to put some random toys in.  He opened it, smiled and promptly walked away from it.  T played with his for a minute or two but also forgot about it and left it at Grandpa's.  Isn't that just how it always is though...

3 comments:

Nicole said...

It's so true. We spend all this time worrying..."Will he understand what presents are? Will he understand Christmas? Will he enjoy opening gifts?" then after it's all over...they want more! haha. EVERY morning since Christmas Kohen has asked to open presents as we walk downstairs! Tanner is a cutie which makes it even more hard to explain that it wasn't his turn for a gift. However, great job at your quick thinking Julie! Super mom!

Nyall and Jennifer said...

Ha ha!! LOL. I love it. What a great story!

Melissa said...

yep, that's how it is!!!