Lately I've been working extra hard to make sure my house is nice and clean. To my surprise it has stayed that way, and I really like the sense of accomplishment I feel when it's done. That said, I'm finding that to have it stay clean I could be cleaning something every minute of every day. Frankly, I'm exhausted. For some reason this last week I just don't seem to have any energy. I literally drag myself out of bed every morning when one of the kids want something and from then on I feel like I just don't stop. I start cleaning one room, go to another for something and then find something else to do in that room and little by little I make my way around the house, then like today, walk into a room that I've already cleaned and have a disaster just waiting for me. It just makes me want to cry, then yell which I did then I felt bad that I freaked out. So on a day where there's been crying and yelling, I started thinking about my mom , how I never truly appreciated how much work she did to keep our household running when I was a kid. I just had no idea why she never sat down with us to watch tv or to read or anything else. When I think back, I'm reminded of how thoughtless I was when I tried on 4 outfits and left them on the bed to go to school then came home and found everything magically in the closet. I took for granted all of the towels and washcloths and dishcloths and dishrags that just happened to be there when I opened the drawers. For all the times dinner was on the table and then I complained about what we were eating. How I didn't want to sweep the kitchen floor so I kept telling her I wanted her to teach me, then watching her show me ONE MORE TIME how to do it and then it was done and the next time I was asked to sweep I'd pull the same thing and she'd once again show me how. I'm sorry for giving her crap and being uncooperative when she tried to have family home evening instead of helping her out. For complaining that I was just too tired to do certain things and she'd let me wait until the next day. So on just one of those days that I'm feeling sorry for myself and dreading all the many things I need to do, I'm so grateful to my mother for everything she's done for me, for the many times she showed me what selfless service is all about. For being the best mother she knew how to be and helping me become I woman I am. LOVE YOU MOM!!
3 comments:
Yes! I completely agree! Mom's are amazing, you included!
You are such a sweet person Julie. But that makes me laugh that you'd ask your Mom to "teach" you to sweep the floor. I never would have thought of that. Not to mention I think my Mom would have hit me with the broom and told me that was all the teaching I was getting and to get sweeping. LOL You are amazing like Jana says.
Your Mum is lucky to have you recognize all these things ... all be it a few years later. ;O)
I REALLY hope that Emma feels like you do in a few years time, particularly about meals. They are a huge source of frustration in our house. I totally understand how you feel. It's RIDICULOUS! I've given up. My house is a DISASTER.
Post a Comment