For a little while now, McKay has randomly been asking me, "Mama, do I still breathe?" To which I reply, "Of course, you wouldn't be talking to me if you weren't breathing", to me, a logical answer. However, for some reason, he'll be fine and then a few minutes later I get the same question. One of the days last week he must have asked me no less than 50 times. I swear, it was driving my crazy. I just have no idea why it concerns him so much. Throughout the day, my answers became less and less nice and then I got exasperated and said, "No, you don't", to which he replied, "Yes I do", but then a few minutes later I got the question again. Anyway, by the time Chad got home that night I was at my wit's end and thought if I heard that question 1 more time I would scream. I told Chad all about it and he started questioning McKay wondering why he was so concerned about it. We didn't get to the bottom of it, but after the questions started coming directly to Daddy, he came up with a solution to stop having to answer every 2 minutes. He told McKay he had a trick. Whenever he was wondering if he was breathing or not, to put his hand in front of his mouth and to blow on it and if he felt the air he'd know he was breathing. Now why didn't I think of that after hearing the question 20 times? Oh, the magic of Daddy. McKay asked us a couple more times, and each time we'd remind him about his new trick and send him on his way. Ever since that day, I'll catch McKay at random moments with his hand in front of his mouth, blowing on it to make sure he's still breathing. I've been racking my brain to try to figure out why this concerns him and the only thing I can come up with is that whenever one of his brothers falls or hurts themselves and begin crying, there is a period of silence right before the crying wail comes, and sometimes it lasts for some time. It scares me a little so sometimes I'll say, "Breathe Tanner", or "Breathe Grant". That's the only thing I can possibly think of that contributes to this. So, if you see McKay doing his trick and wonder why, just know he's just checking to see if he's still breathing.
4 comments:
That is a way cute story! I'm sure it was frustrating to get that question over and over though. Thank heavens for Daddy's and their logical way of fixing things.
That is so adorable! Kayley does the same kind of thing all the time. She constantly asks what I am doing, when I answer with some crazy thing (like knitting a sweater) she'll say, "No you're not, you're..." At that point I wonder, why are you asking me if you know what I'm doing? She also likes to confirm that the baby I'm carrying around is, in fact, Carter. "Lauren, is that Carter?" Leland always tells her no. And she constantly tells me that she's my sister and that Carter is her nephew and she's his aunt.
Too cute! You gotta love that they find comfort in you as a parent, but it really could drive a person crazy couln't it?
Kids are so funny! And it's so cute to read it and imagine him doing it....to YOU!! I can totally relate to the annoying question etc.
Lately Sophie will call me about a bazillion times without ever stopping to tell me what she needs. I answer her almost every time, but she just keeps saying "mom...mom...mama...mom...momommy...mama" AGH!!!
Post a Comment